Let’s face it… After a LONG day at work – kid’s homework and projects – laundry – dinner and 100 other miscellaneous things, we all just want…just really NEED that late afternoon “sugar rush” to get us through the rest of the day.
BUT WAIT…I’m on the DREADED gluten free diet!!!
While some of us are on the gluten free diet because we want to live a healthier lifestyle, some of us are on gluten free diets due to health issues or underlying medical conditions. UGH… all of the zillion sweet things I REALLY crave are filled with the things I’m on a quest to avoid – GLUTEN is now my enemy!
So I went on a desperate search to find AND make a snack that’s actually
- Somewhat DECENT tasting
- SUPER EASY – takes less than 5 minutes to make start to finish (lets face it I’m lazy and it’s been a long day) AND
- Satisfies my sweet tooth when looking for a snack that’s (gasp!) actually GLUTEN FREE?
You say impossible? Well, I take your challenge because quite honestly if I CAN MAKE this snack…ANYONE can make it – and that even includes my kids (8 and 14). With all that said I found the lazy man’s (or woman’s) GLUTEN FREE (and even SALT free) KRISPEE TREATS and this recipe takes little prep. (Honestly, the hardest thing to do is get the bags open and NOT eat those yummy, fluffy puffs of sweet tastiness before you complete the actual recipe). I try to live with the “Don’t Ask – Don’t Tell Diet”. If you don’t tell me what you’re feeding me…I WON’T ASK AND I’ll probably never know the difference. Half the battle is seeing the bags and automatically assuming you’ll hate it because it’s NOT filled with the things you love most.
Ingredients – prep to eat time 5 minutes
- 1 package (or even 2 depending on how much marshmallow-y yumminess you prefer) Dandies Vegan Marshmallows
you can buy these at most health food stores or even grocery stores that have a health food section. These marshmallows are light and fluffy gluten-free, melt just like regular marshmallows and they even catch fire just like traditional marshmallows. Who doesn’t love a flaming marshmallow roasting over a fire? They even come in mini sizes! So what makes them even better? Dandies are made on dedicated vegan equipment with zero animal products—that means no gelatin! As a side note Gluten Free. 100% Vegan AND Certified Kosher. What more can you ask for? You can use these marshmallows for a variety of snacking options and other recipes!
- 1 box your choice Gluten Free puffed rice (there are many brands to choose from)
- Open bag/s of marshmallows and pour into a microwave safe bowl
- Microwave 3-4 minutes until you see them expanding and melting together (stir occasionally – CAUTION HOT!)
- Pour box of puffed rice into melted marshmallows and stir!
- Spoon out into pan (size and depth is your preference) – for a little fun cut into shapes the kids will enjoy by using a cookie cutter HINT: to prevent sticking lightly spray utensils with non-stick cooking spray
- EAT – ENJOY – YOU ARE HAVING A GLUTEN FREE RICE KRISPIE TREAT FOR A SNACK!